Ever wondered how Canadians have such beautiful teeth? The answer is simple! Canadians spend about $355 on dental care, while Americans spend $154 on dental care services, annually. A chunk of this expenditure is on cosmetic dental care services, like teeth whitening.
Professional teeth whitening at the dentist’s clinic is indeed expensive but produces unmatched results and a consistent pearly white set of teeth instantly, which at-home whitening kits can never produce even in months. Seriously, Canadians are living proof of it!
So what procedure is followed at the dental clinic that makes teeth whitening results stand out from at-home whitening by a mile? Well, as you read through the following sections, you would understand that it’s not much- just the professional expertise of the dentist!
- At first, the dentist would clean and polish your teeth with pumice. This is because the bleaching agent that will be used in the teeth whitening solution would best work on a dry surface. The bleaching agent penetrates your teeth through the pores (it’s harmless!) to remove stains from within. Saliva on the teeth only obstructs this penetration. A gauze pad may also be placed on your teeth to keep them dry.
- When your teeth are dry, the dentist would check the natural shade of your teeth. This is to get an idea of how much your teeth have to be whitened and how concentrated the whitening solution has to be to get the ideal shade.
- Retractors and barriers will be fit into your mouth to keep your gums, tongue, and cheeks away from your teeth. When these come in contact with the whitening solution, they will absorb some of it and the solution would only lose their efficiency. Furthermore, these retractors and barriers also keep you from swallowing a single drop of the solution.
- The dentist would then coat your teeth with the whitening solution. The coating would only be applied to the frontal surface of your teeth and not the back surface of them, since whitening the other surface doesn’t get noticed significantly, anyway!
- Once the coating has been applied, the solution will be left there on your teeth to be absorbed, for about half an hour or even more, depending on the desired shade. Following this, your mouth will be thoroughly rinsed to eliminate any residue of the solution.
- Last but not least, some dentists even prefer a fluoride treatment to finish with. Your teeth will be brushed with fluoride varnish. Fluoride helps in keeping your teeth strong, retaining the whiteness and also prevents stains in the teeth after whitening.
Once you’re through with the whitening process, you might experience a little bit of increased sensitivity in your teeth. However, it’s normal! It’s just because the pores in your enamel have opened up to expose the dental temporarily. The process lasts for over an hour and results in instant pearly whites! Is that how you whiten your teeth at home? Now that you know the process, why would you wait to get your teeth whitened for even a day longer? If you’re in Keller TX, contact the best teeth whitening dentist near you, now!